Mommy and Baby Bear

Mommy and Baby Bear

Monday, February 20, 2012

12 Hour Shift...

What happens when your work schedule suddenly becomes 12 hour shifts three days a week?...

Your blog is abandoned, your confessions get lost, that "good read" stays on the night stand, devotions seem to lack energy, and breakfast for dinner becomes a new found staple. But that's just the first week. By week 2, the time management skills that I somehow developed in college :) kick in! I plan ahead and begin to prioritize my day. The awesome thing about working such a long day is that it really made me reflect on the things in my day that I spend alot of time on, and the things in my day that I actually need to spend time on. So what comes out being most important? Well here is the list I came up with:

1. Quiet time with God because he is my source! The breath, the strength, the patience, the will power to do what I do each day comes from the Lord. It's important for me to take out time to feed my soul and continue to work on my spiritual relationship. I start my morning prayer the minute I wake up and usually don't end until right before I leave the house for work! Before Milo goes to sleep we have begun singing one or two Praise and Worship songs :), and I'm taking time out before bed to read the bible.
2. Quality time with Milo because he is my fuel! It doesn't matter how exhausted I may be, the minute I see that beautiful smile and those precious eyes light up, I'm back at full force! It still isn't easy being away from him, but I am so blessed to be able to come home to his baby bear hugs and kisses. My son is what put that fire under me to expand my career, to take a chance and try something new. And so I read the extra books to him, dance a little longer with him, sing a little louder for him each and every night :).
3.Quick and easy cooking ideas and workout plan. Of course I'd like to say I come home in the evening ready to throwdown like Bobby Flay and tone and sculpt like Jillian Micheals...but usually this isn't the case. With this item, the first thing was to be realistic! I figured out that doing a 20 minute workout 3 times a week works best for me. For dinner ideas, I found that websites like kraftfoods.com, allrecipes.com, and those "bargain priced" cookbooks have loads of quick, easy, and healthy ideas. Of course planning meals ahead helps out too.
And lastly,
4. Quenching my thirst for knowledge! I have to be honest, I don't get a chance to read everyday. In my field of work, alot of the books I read have one sentence on each page :). But I do make it a point to check out a new article or finding on child development, families, etc. My newest is a actually a book that everyone at my job is reading called the Fred Factor.

I don't know exactly how long my schedule will be the way it is, but I'm sure if I can stick to the things that matter most I will make it each day with a smile!


No comments:

Post a Comment