Mommy and Baby Bear

Mommy and Baby Bear

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

What's in a name???

I remember back when I first found out I was pregnant...well, after taking 4 pregnancy tests and getting over the initial shock :), how excited I was about choosing a name. I've always been pretty intrigued with names and their meanings. I love hearing stories about how parents decide and come up with what they will call their new bundle of joy! When you really think about it, naming your child is one of your early tasks of parenting. This is the name your little one will carry for the REST OF THEIR LIFE. The name that will get shortened or lengthened as a nickname, the name they will hear called out on their very first day of school, the name that will be read on the resume they submit for their first job...no pressure, right? Anywho, for me naming my son started out pretty rocky. He is the first boy for me and his biological father, so of course the initial decision was for him to carry on that name. When that fell through, I turned to several sources from baby name websites, to those books with "500,000 Baby Names!", to asking family and friends.

Then suddenly a light bulb appeared over top of my head! If this little baby trusts me enough to carry him through the first 9 months of life, surely he believes in me enough to give him the name meant for him. I always liked the name Milo, it had a warm nostalgic feel to it and I didn't know anyone with that name. So I looked it up and discovered it meant gracious or kind-hearted. At that point I knew that was what I would name my precious baby boy. His middle name, Amir, was a suggestion by his "Big Bear". It's Arabic, like my first name, and means prince. I fell in love with the middle name almost as fast as I did the first! "Kind-hearted prince", now that is a strong yet humble name, perfect for my son. I want Milo to live by his name, to know that he is a child of God, a "prince" who is fearfully and wonderfully made. And to be kind hearted and selfless because we need more people like that in the world today.

So, what is in your name or your child's name? It's definitely worth looking up!


Milo Amir





3 comments:

  1. Your daughter Saniya has 3 different origins to her name it mostly comes up as Arabic....which it means illustrious splendor, radiant, brillant.......Hindu....it means harmony......Indian it means wisdom.....soooo she has a lot to live up to! So far she's doing a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes she is!!! She is all that and so much more! Of course because she has an awesome mommy and a pretty cool school mommy :)

    ReplyDelete